Monday, September 1, 2014

Post Transfer Update! PUPO

Last week was a bit of a roller coaster when it came to how the transfer was going to go!  By the time Friday got here, I was feeling defeated!  On Thursday we got the news that all 4 of the 1 day embryos had arrested and none of them survived the thaw enough to be transferred.  In the past, we had crummy embryos to transfer so I thought the last two 5 day embryos were going to be of the same quality.  I was certainly being a Debbie Downer.

We left home at 8 am and headed to my godmother's where my children would be staying during transfer.  I got a text with the best news!  We had a fair and a good!  That was the best combination we had up to this point between all three transfers. 

Now I had a tough choice to make that I hope no one ever takes lightly.  We had a good and a fair and I have no intention of carrying twins.  Would I if I got pregnant with twins?  Yes.  But I don't think twins are cute or some kind of amazing commodity.  My IPs have twins already and their first surrogate was amazing and the pregnancy was so healthy so they have a very positive outlook on twins.  But even so, they know that the pregnancy was the easy part.  My IM does specifically want another set of twins either.  She knows how hard it is to raise them after they are born!

But we were still conflicted.  It seems like the choice would be easy to make.  After having one failed cycle, one blighted ovum at 10 wks and then defrosting 4 one day embies and having all of them arrest.... the decision was not that easy to make.  Was I willing to scrap a decent embie when we have had such bad luck with post-thaw quality?

I couldn't.  After talking to many surro friends, talking to my IM, talking to my husband and my other support network that would help me in the event something went wrong during the pregnancy, I knew that transferring both of them was the right decision for our situation.  This does not make me ignorant.  It does not make me stupid.  It does not mean that I think that twins won't happen to me. I am just praying for the best possible outcome with just ONE healthy PINK baby!  

At the time of transfer, our RE came in and he was having me sign the paperwork with how many embryos we were transferring.  He too thought that we should do both and he is a SET pusher usually.  These embryos have been frozen for 4 years and they are just not great so here are the cute little embryos that we transferred--I am saying that the top one stuck and its a girl (which is why I wore PINK for transfer-- sending those girl vibes because my IM needs a little girl in her life!)


Just as a little lesson, the top one is the good embryo and the bottom is the fair embryo.  See the shell around the embryo?   When the shell gets full, then it cracks open and the embryo hatches and then implants into the lining if it is going take.  The bottom embyro does not fill the shell and it looks like 'noise' and is jumbled.  

More photos from transfer:

Pre-transfer

The lovely view I have -- every woman's worst nightmare!

My husband was so surprised by how many people were in the room for transfer!  4 nurses, one embryo doctor, the RE and my husband and myself!

The embryologist and the incubator behind her!


Bed resting it after the transfer for 30 minutes!

An image of my uterus and when the embryos are released into the lining.



We are so lucky that the clinic records the transfer so we can record it!





Overall, transfer was perfect and everything went well!  Just waiting until a reasonable window when I can start testing!!!  And for now, I am PUPO  (Pregnant Until Proven Otherwise!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment