Wednesday, June 11, 2014

Update-- D&C Tomorrow

Just as an update since it has been over a week....

I went off of the meds on Wednesday and played the game with the Family Health Clinic vs the OB Clinic-- You're not my problem, you're their problem!  Then my PCM is on leave so I can't get any advice or treatment.  Gotta love the way the system works!  So anyhow, the OB clinic finally brought me back in as the miscarriage was not starting itself and had another ultrasound done.  The doctor was very very thorough making sure that there wasn't even the slightest of a flicker of the fetal pole.  The fetal pole was still visible where it should be beating, but it wasn't.  The yolk sac continued to grow the gestational sac continued to grow but the baby never grew and there was never an actual heart beat. 

These are ultrasounds done at 10w1d:




My body is not getting rid of the pregnancy even though the meds have been discontinued so at this point my options were either Cytotec or D&C.  I have had both (from the same miscarriage) and the Cytotec was the devil because I was prescribed 6 pills one night and 6 pills 12 hours later.  Seriously worse than a regular delivery and birth with no medication and on pitocin.  Yes I have had both-- at least there is an end in sight during labor and delivery!  The cramping was constant and made me so nauseous with the cytotec.  Now that I am on the eve of the D&C, I am nervous.  I know that its a 'routine' surgery and not a big risk but when you are signing waivers saying that you know that uterine perforation is a risk and asherman's syndrome and you have to go to the lab to be blood typed in case you need a transfusion-- then reality hits.  This maybe is a serious surgery!  (even if it is routine and outpatient-- the risk is real!) 

So tomorrow at 2, send prayers up for my IPs as this is finality for this baby for them.  This is the second time we have been through this together and they have been nothing short of amazing for my family.  They sent me a bunch of sunflowers through FTD and I sent photos of them to my IM and they weren't perky enough for her so she called FTD and had them send me a new bunch!  They also sent our family a check for 'the things I am going through' to help us to take care of the family for the time I might be down.  She also was going to come down but I told her to stay home but promised that I would call her the moment I needed help from them!  This is a true partnership-- their family and ours. And pray for my safety during the procedure. I can't help but be nervous, but I will be just fine! 

We have agreed to work together as soon as we can but unfortunately, August is the month that the lab closes down to clean the facility so it looks like the soonest we might be able to transfer again is September because I don't think July is gonna happen!  But we are working together again!!  It is in the works!

1 comment:

  1. Good luck Mel. I will be thinking about you and everyone. I already have been so much lately.

    ReplyDelete